Senior School is for boys in Years 7 through to Year 11.
Places in the Senior School are offered based on the results of the entrance assessment and a report from your child’s current school. The assessment covers English and maths.
Note that boys in our Primary School are guaranteed a place in Senior School. No additional assessments are required, unless they are applying for a scholarship
Our entrance assessment is designed to assess general ability whilst also ensuring your son will gain maximum benefit from an education at Derby Grammar School.
It is not Common Entrance, but is based on the National Curriculum and so boys from both independent and state primary schools can access it.
The entrance assessment is just a small part of a wider day of activities which your son will be invited to take part in, providing an opportunity to spend some time at school and to meet teachers and potential classmates.
We encourage anyone considering joining Senior School to join us for a Taster Day to get a real feel for our School.
- The deadline date for applications for Year 7 places for September 2021, for both current pupils and those new to Derby Grammar School, is Monday 23 November
- Scholarship trials, auditions and assessments take place on Thursday 3 December
- Offers of places are issued by Friday 18 December.
Entry is also possible at Years 8 to 10, providing the GCSE syllabus has not yet commenced.
- To start your application, simply download and complete the Registration Form (below) and return it to us with your registration fee. If you have any questions, please contact our Registrar at email@example.com or call 01332 510030.
- Find out more about the entrance assessment and see examples of assessment papers for Year 7 entry here.
Scholarships and financial assistance
We have an extensive range of Scholarships, Exhibitions and Bursaries available for our Senior School applicants. For Year 7 entry, Bursary applications should be received by Friday 27 November. Find out more