Applicants should be expecting to pass at least five GCSEs at a good grade, including maths, English language and a science. However, we do deal with each application on an individual basis.
Typically, we ask for a minimum of grade 6 for the subjects chosen for study at A Level.
As well as formal qualifications, we look for motivated, hardworking individuals who are willing to contribute to school-life, want to make a difference to the School and wider community and want to develop the skills needed to ensure success in the future.
On receipt of an application we will request a reference and predicted GCSE grades from your current school. Upon receipt you will be invited to an interview with the Head of Sixth Form. This usually lasts around 30 minutes and is an opportunity for you to tell us about yourself, why you want to study A Levels and where you see yourself in the future. It is also an opportunity for you to ask any questions you have about us.
- The deadline date for applications for Sixth Form places for September 2020, for both current pupils and those new to Derby Grammar School, is Monday 18 November
- Scholarship trials, auditions, exams and interviews take place on Tuesday 10 December
- Offers of places are issued by Tuesday 17 December.
The offer of a place is based upon both the reference, interview and GCSE results. We offer places conditionally, and these are confirmed on receipt of final GCSE results in August.
We encourage anyone considering Sixth Form to join us for an Experience Day to get a real feel for our School and Sixth Form.
We offer an extensive range of A Level courses in various option blocks and we try to accommodate individual subject choices wherever possible. Find out more about our Sixth Form curriculum
- To begin your application, simply download and complete the Registration Form (below) and return it to us with your registration fee
- Pupils in Year 11 will receive the Sixth Form Application Form for Current Pupils in October
- If you have any questions, please contact the Registrar at firstname.lastname@example.org or call 01332 510030.
Scholarships and Bursaries
We have an extensive range of Scholarships, Exhibitions and Bursaries available for our Sixth Formers. Bursary applications should be received by Friday 29 November. Find out more